The main objectives of the MMR-HCS are to promote preservation, conservation, protection, development and improvement of natural, built and related cultural heritage within the area of Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR); and to adopt all means to achieve the objectives incidental or ancillary to the attainment of the main objective including but not restricted to the following:
Developing a Data Base for Mumbai Metropolitan Region
- To conduct studies/surveys of buildings, artefacts, structures and precincts of historical / aesthetic / architectural / cultural value.
- To undertake systematic listing of heritage buildings and precincts as well as identifying the components of natural / cultural heritage which needs to be conserved.
- To compile and store data on heritage, including digital database conversion by using advanced techniques such as computerised optical image processing.
- To set up a full-fledged resource centre including library, material documentation and photo-documentation centre on heritage conservation.
Training, Education and Awareness:
- To encourage the architectural educational institutions by undertaking training programmes in heritage conservation and carrying out documentation of heritage buildings and precincts in MMR.
- To organise training programmes for local authorities for developing capabilities in undertaking heritage conservation related activities.
- To sponsor candidates for participating in training courses in India/abroad for architectural students and local authority staff in heritage conservation and related subjects.
- To publish a journal and organise other publications on various aspects related to heritage conservation.
- To promote awareness about heritage conservation movement by educating general public as well as students at the school level, by organising exhibitions/competitions on heritage conservation.
Providing Financial Assistance to Conservation:
- To finance the programmes for maintenance of heritage buildings/precincts/ artefacts.
- To finance the programmes leading to preservation and conservation of natural heritage such as coastal areas, lakes, rivers, forests, hills and hill stations, etc.
- To finance the programmes of preservation and conservation of settlements of cultural and historical significance.
- To promote networking of various agencies in MMR including local historical societies.
- To act as advisers, consultants, appraisers and assessor with respect to all aspects of heritage conservation.
- To accept donations, gifts, and bequests of any movable property and artifacts and also of immovable heritage property.